Monday, June 5, 2017

Tiny, Cheap 3D Printer Working!

My ultra-inexpensive 101Hero 3D printer arrived about a month ago with a bad motor.  Fortunately, another owner had started a group-buy for better replacement motors, which I joined, and which had arrived just before the printer.  I replaced the bad motor, though I had to swap the pink and orange wires in the connector to get it to rotate in the right direction.  I probably should replace them all, but I want to see how long the other two original motors will last.

I covered the build plate with the horrible yellow masking tape that came with the printer, because the blue tape I had was dried out and I didn't want to wait to get more.

I set up Cura using the 101Hero config file provided by the manufacturer.

Next, I followed the abundant setup advice on the 101Hero User Forum (the site is independent of the 101Hero manufacturer).

I added rubber bands to the arms to reduce the looseness/shakiness of the print carriage.  The arms are so flexible that putting the rubber bands in the middle caused bending (which would throw off the geometry), so I put them up near the top of each arm pair.  The rubber band tension was as low as I could get it and still have them stay in place.

I did a few 1-3 layer prints to calibrate the printer (and use up some of the questionable white filament that came with it).

Despite the print bed being level and at the right height, I still had adhesion issues, so I made the first layer 50% thicker (rather than do a brim or raft).

I then switched to this inexpensive PLA filament from Amazon because I could get it delivered the same day for free (via Amazon Prime).  It came well packaged, including a zip-lock storage bag.

Then I tried my first "real" print, a tiny phone stand.  The print is completely functional, but is far from perfect.

I saved the GCode, primed the extruder until the new color came out, then started the print.  I waited four long hours, hovering over the machine like a husband during a delivery.

The resulting print was strong (good layer adhesion), but does have issues.  Here's what it looks like:

  

   


Here's what I observed, and what I think it means.
  • Not in photo: The skirt (the outline printed around the part to prime the extruder) was almost completely missing, and the little bit that was there was thread-thin.  This happened despite priming the extruder moments before starting the print.  Extrusion rate too low?  Blocked extruder nozzle?
  • Print is fuzzy. I removed most of the fuzz prior to taking the photos, but some is still visible in the interior.  Too little retraction?  Temperature too high?
  • Bottom has a combination of adhesion failure and Elephant's Foot.  Easy: I screwed up the calibration.  And I really should get some blue tape.  Any other factors?
  • Fill isn't tightly joined to outer wall.  Under-extrusion?  Need to increase fill overlap?
  • One layer about 1/4" from the start is totally squished.  Easy: I bumped the printer, hard.
  • About halfway up the whole print steps over a bit.  I didn't have a spool stand and the filament was getting pulled tighter and tighter.  This is when I moved the spool onto a stick.  Any other possible factors?
  • There are small "waves" crossing multiple layers in the later half of the print.  My guess is I still have filament tension problems that will be fixed by getting a real spool holder.  Are there other causes?

Those are all the defects I see (as a 3D printing newbie).  Are there more?  Are the photos good enough to tell?

I then put Blue Tape on the print bed and rigged an emergency spool holder using a paint roller (which works awesomely):




Print quality immediately improved to an amazing degree.  I then printed the other stand included in the above link (visible above), and then printed a Star Trek TNG communicator badge (which was printing when I took the above photo).  Here's a close-up of it:



The upper surface is a bit rough, but that's no surprise given the 0.18 mm layer thickness.  I may try it again at 0.10.

My next plan is to do some prints for dimensional (geometry) calibration and for temperature calibration (should be done for each filament spool).

No comments:

Post a Comment